layming the jetsetter.

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Backtrack 1- Shanxi: Datong + Pingyao Ancient City in brief

Heh, yea I know this is like super outdated, but let me just go through it so that my blog on my China experience is more complete :)

The trip to Datong and Pingyao was the last side trip I took while in Beijing. I must say it was really a totally different experience compared to the previous holidays we took. First of all, it was my first time planning a trip, trying to settle the transport and accommodation. And talking about trains in China, haha, I think the three of us rather not talk about our experience. LOL. But to sum it up briefly, the first overnight train we took - we had a fat Chinese man with us in the same cabin who snored like an elephant so that made sleep pretty impossible, but luckily there was still aircon in the cabin. The second overnight train we took - we had another Chinese man with us, fortunately he didn't snore, but then the train has no aircon, so it was actually quite hot and it travelled at snail's pace. GOSH. I was so excited about taking the trains because I've never taken one before, but I think after these experiences, I might have to think twice next time, or maybe even thrice. You get the idea. haha :P I think I would only take trains in China next time if it's those fast-speed kind that will take me to my destination in a couple of hours with seats like those on the plane and an aircon system that works well. Fortunately, we didn't have to endure another gruelling overnight ride back to Beijing from Pingyao, but we had to first take a hard 2++-hour bumpy bus ride to Taiyuan (capital city of Shanxi province), and then taxi-pooled with this other guy to the train station.

And then talking about accommodation, we stayed at a hostel in Pingyao, which was used as a guesthouse (something like that la) long long long long time ago just beside the magistrate court. It was quite cool cos it felt like we were being transported a few hundred years back in time, but erm....the shower facilities in the attached bathroom ah...really cannot make it la huh -_-

So anyway, all in all, it was a very different experience altogether, and it was during this trip that I realised, as much as I enjoyed my GIP China experience, I think I'll only be able to stay in Beijing if I had to be in China on a long-term basis because seriously, I think anywhere else would be like nightmare for me. LOL :P

Okay, I've unknowingly typed a lot for this entry, so I shall stop here and share with you some photos:
This is the hanging monastery at Datong. Nothing much in particular, but it's like a must-go sightseeing attraction when you go Datong la.

And this is taken at the Yungang Grottoes at Datong, another must-see tourist attraction there, it's a UNESCO cultural heritage site.

This old man really helped people write letters in the past, and he can still write very well now even at this age. His hands didn't seem to be trembling at all man, damn cool.

This is the city wall of the ancient city, which is home to about 50 thousand people.

You can get an idea of how the ancient city looks like. Only some streets are opened for tourism purposes, while there are a lot of little alleys (I think it was 84?) and there really is a very local side to this place. COOL. The pace of life in this city seems to be pretty slow, and it seems like they are a few decades behind time leh...haha :P The ancient city is actually more happening at night because in the day, it's so damn hot that I think everyone stays indoors.

Alright, that basically sums it up for this trip, and the rest of the photos, as usual, are on facebook.

Part 1: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=107322&id=506367185&l=ea9478b4ca
Part 2: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=108701&id=506367185&l=d830fb7e6a
Part 3: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=109143&id=506367185&l=03f49fd493

Okay, and I'll blog about my last few days in Beijing when I next feel like it - yea don't worry it'll be before I leave for Bangladesh okay. hahaha :P I hope la. Anyway, I'll be blogging in my other blog now that I'm back yah? :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]