layming the jetsetter.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

the buses in Beijing.

In Beijing, most of the buses still have bus conductors, who sell tickets to those who don't have the EZ-link equivalent here. Usually, the bus conductors I meet aren't very "human", they only stand at the middle of the bus, and say things like, please buy tickets if you don't have the ez-link card, please move in when you get up the bus, and then they will tell you what the next stop is. They seem like robots programmed to repeat the same things over and over again, day in day out, and sometimes, you hear them mumbling, you don't even know what they are saying! You have to strain your ears to listen out to the name of the next stop. haha :P

But today, when I was taking the bus to get to a Line 10 subway station (I live on Line 2), I met this really nice bus conductor. There was an old lady standing at the rear door. The bus conductor asked her, “你到哪儿啊?”, the old lady said, “我下一站就下”. And the bus conductor said, “那你扶好了啊。”

I think the bus conductor was thinking of getting the old lady a seat if she was going further - the bus conductor asked for someone to give up his seat for an old man and this guy, who only just sat down, actually very readily got up and gave his seat to the old man. I felt it was nice of the bus conductor to show concern and ask the old lady to hold on to the grab poles, makes her very much more humane than the other bus conductors I've come across. I know it's just a small little thing, but it's these small little things you see that can change the preconceived ideas you have about a place or people.

I've been pretty busy this week, work came all at once, but then it surely is better than sitting around and doing nothing. I just hope I'll stay busy for a while. hahaha :P And somehow, I've grown to like walking to work. LOL. Is this considered exercise? It better be. haha :P

Oh, can I just say, I'm very sad to see that I don't have any tags to reply to!! :( It's been more than 10 days since anyone said something on my tagboard!!! :( So, talk to me okay!? haha :P

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]