update update!
HELLO ALL!!! I finally have time to blog about my first 4 days in Beijing. Sometimes it feels like we've been here for a long time already, maybe it's cos of all the errands that we have to run everyday and settle everything on our own.
Anyway, we reached Beijing early in the morning on Tuesday, and by the time we settled the apartment and moved in, it was already 4pm. Then it was going to the bank to pay for the electricity, and then it was to Wal-mart to get bedsheets and some daily essentials. By the time we came back, we were all SOOOO tired that we decided we wouldn't have enough strength to clean the house so we just spread our bedsheets and slept! LOL :P
The second day only started at 12 noon, and it was...more errands to run -_- And we freaking spent the whole afternoon trying to look for the police station to register for our temporary stay permit. I tell you, this was the first major problem we faced. We walked for an hour at least, finally found the police station, only to be told that we were at the wrong place because where we stayed isn't part of the district that that station oversees. We were directed to this other police station. And we walked another half an hour at least to get to the 2nd police station. Then we were told again that we are not part of their district! FAINTS. And so we were directed to another police station and on we walked.
The third police station was in the middle of some hutong (that has 9 alleys), and they told us we were at the wrong place again! RAHH. But they gave us a book with an address we should go to. And so we continued walking. The address in the book says Dongsiliutiao (alley 6), but we passed by Dongsisitiao (alley 4) and saw a sign saying there's a police station 500m in so we walked there and in the end got directed to another place again!! So we checked out the one in the book, and it was wrong again and this time we got directed to an office at Dongsibatiao (alley 8)! But when we got there at 5.05pm, it was closed already! But it looked like the right place because its sign says something like an office for migrant control or something. By the way, I later found out that the office closes at 5pm, but we didn't even see anyone come out of that place at 5.05! Their action really very fast ah! hahaha.
So left with no other choice, we went out of the hutong and cabbed to the supermart near our place to get all those cleaning stuffs and guess what, that night we cleaned the apartment till about 4am!!! OMG. And that includes scrubbing the toilet, mind you. hahaha.
The third day, we headed back to the office at Dongsibatiao. Just as we thought we finally got the right place, IT'S WRONG AGAIN! *faints and dies* The lady there directed us back to the Dongsisitiao police station! OMG. She said that station handles temporary stay permits for foreigners! So that guy at that station thought we came from some other part of China, that's why he directed us to Dongsibatiao! BLEAH.
And you think the story is going to end here?! THEN YOU ARE SO WRONG.
When we went back there, they actually wanted to direct us away again, but this time round, we faster clarified that we aren't Mainland Chinese, then only did they direct us into some office. And that policewoman wanted to fine us for not registering earlier (must register within 24 hrs of arrival), but we explained that we were actually there the day before but got directed elsewhere and fortunately she said okay don't have to fine. And she added that maybe it's cos that guy thought we are from Guangdong or Fujian that's why he told us to go Dongsibatiao -_- But come to think of it, true what, our ancestors all from that part of China one. hahaha :P
Anyway, so we thought we finally could register. BUT GUESS WHAT?! The policewoman requested for our rental agreement, which we happily didn't bring out! OMG. So we had to trot all the way back home (luckily I found a shortcut, but it was still about 20mins), get the contract and go back there again!
SO IN TOTAL, IT TOOK US NINE FREAKING TRIES BEFORE WE FINALLY SETTLED IT. Seriously, not funny at all. But I guess all the hard times were forgotten when we found a cheap and good place to eat - only4SGD per person for a tzichar-like meal! CHEAP CHEAP! haha :P And also, we got to see what hutongs are really like! heh :)
Then last night was spent fixing the shelf we got at IKEA, and today was spent fixing the internet connection - which are different stories all together - and having a good meal with the rest of the GIP people i.e. venturing out of our immediate surroundings for the first time since arrival, no thanks to the time we wasted on finding the police station -_-
All in all, I can only say that having your own apartment and learning to solve this and that in China, is really a learning experience man. But I have to also say that the things and people here are actually not as bad as I expected, and it's been pretty pleasant for me so far...
I wish I can upload photos, but somehow, I can't! aRGHH. I tried a couple of methods already, but still couldn't. I'll try again tmr, and I'll try to get them up on facebook if possible! I'll post links here if I get the pictures up on facebook! :)
Alrighty, sorry for making you read through our horrible experience with the police, I'm going to sleep already...we are going shopping later! hahaha :P Till the next time then! :)
Anyway, we reached Beijing early in the morning on Tuesday, and by the time we settled the apartment and moved in, it was already 4pm. Then it was going to the bank to pay for the electricity, and then it was to Wal-mart to get bedsheets and some daily essentials. By the time we came back, we were all SOOOO tired that we decided we wouldn't have enough strength to clean the house so we just spread our bedsheets and slept! LOL :P
The second day only started at 12 noon, and it was...more errands to run -_- And we freaking spent the whole afternoon trying to look for the police station to register for our temporary stay permit. I tell you, this was the first major problem we faced. We walked for an hour at least, finally found the police station, only to be told that we were at the wrong place because where we stayed isn't part of the district that that station oversees. We were directed to this other police station. And we walked another half an hour at least to get to the 2nd police station. Then we were told again that we are not part of their district! FAINTS. And so we were directed to another police station and on we walked.
The third police station was in the middle of some hutong (that has 9 alleys), and they told us we were at the wrong place again! RAHH. But they gave us a book with an address we should go to. And so we continued walking. The address in the book says Dongsiliutiao (alley 6), but we passed by Dongsisitiao (alley 4) and saw a sign saying there's a police station 500m in so we walked there and in the end got directed to another place again!! So we checked out the one in the book, and it was wrong again and this time we got directed to an office at Dongsibatiao (alley 8)! But when we got there at 5.05pm, it was closed already! But it looked like the right place because its sign says something like an office for migrant control or something. By the way, I later found out that the office closes at 5pm, but we didn't even see anyone come out of that place at 5.05! Their action really very fast ah! hahaha.
So left with no other choice, we went out of the hutong and cabbed to the supermart near our place to get all those cleaning stuffs and guess what, that night we cleaned the apartment till about 4am!!! OMG. And that includes scrubbing the toilet, mind you. hahaha.
The third day, we headed back to the office at Dongsibatiao. Just as we thought we finally got the right place, IT'S WRONG AGAIN! *faints and dies* The lady there directed us back to the Dongsisitiao police station! OMG. She said that station handles temporary stay permits for foreigners! So that guy at that station thought we came from some other part of China, that's why he directed us to Dongsibatiao! BLEAH.
And you think the story is going to end here?! THEN YOU ARE SO WRONG.
When we went back there, they actually wanted to direct us away again, but this time round, we faster clarified that we aren't Mainland Chinese, then only did they direct us into some office. And that policewoman wanted to fine us for not registering earlier (must register within 24 hrs of arrival), but we explained that we were actually there the day before but got directed elsewhere and fortunately she said okay don't have to fine. And she added that maybe it's cos that guy thought we are from Guangdong or Fujian that's why he told us to go Dongsibatiao -_- But come to think of it, true what, our ancestors all from that part of China one. hahaha :P
Anyway, so we thought we finally could register. BUT GUESS WHAT?! The policewoman requested for our rental agreement, which we happily didn't bring out! OMG. So we had to trot all the way back home (luckily I found a shortcut, but it was still about 20mins), get the contract and go back there again!
SO IN TOTAL, IT TOOK US NINE FREAKING TRIES BEFORE WE FINALLY SETTLED IT. Seriously, not funny at all. But I guess all the hard times were forgotten when we found a cheap and good place to eat - only4SGD per person for a tzichar-like meal! CHEAP CHEAP! haha :P And also, we got to see what hutongs are really like! heh :)
Then last night was spent fixing the shelf we got at IKEA, and today was spent fixing the internet connection - which are different stories all together - and having a good meal with the rest of the GIP people i.e. venturing out of our immediate surroundings for the first time since arrival, no thanks to the time we wasted on finding the police station -_-
All in all, I can only say that having your own apartment and learning to solve this and that in China, is really a learning experience man. But I have to also say that the things and people here are actually not as bad as I expected, and it's been pretty pleasant for me so far...
I wish I can upload photos, but somehow, I can't! aRGHH. I tried a couple of methods already, but still couldn't. I'll try again tmr, and I'll try to get them up on facebook if possible! I'll post links here if I get the pictures up on facebook! :)
Alrighty, sorry for making you read through our horrible experience with the police, I'm going to sleep already...we are going shopping later! hahaha :P Till the next time then! :)
Labels: day 5 in Beijing

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home